The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Sunday 30 November 2014

Christmas and a challenge!

It's Christmas! The first of December I think it's officially Christmas and our decorations and tree are up!


I love Christmas. I have two friends, Helen and Janine, who love Christmas more than anyone else I have ever met. I don't need much encouragement but they both are so enthusiastic it is contagious!





This year Janine had an idea. It is the best idea I've heard of in a long time and I've asked her if I can steal it. As she likes spreading Christmas joy she advised me to go for it.

So... you know advent calendars where you get a little gift each day as you approach Christmas? The idea is to basically reverse it and to give a gift of some kind, be it an act of kindness, help, a gift, a surprise... something, to someone else, everyday leading up to Christmas. Janine called it Christmas random acts of kindness and thought up all kinds of things to do for strangers, people we know are in need, people we know who work hard all year in our schools, community, workplace and to watch for opportunities to just go the extra mile to do something surprising and unexpected for someone every day.


This is guaranteed to give you the best Christmas ever.

I told Andy about it. He loved it. And we began plotting what to do. He is always doing kind things to help people. But this was like permission to go over the top. So we are both going to do this and at the end of each day compare notes. Last year Andy gave blessing bags to homeless people as part of his Christmas effort.
As an advent calendar we are going to write little reminders of what happened each day and peg them to the Christmas tree. I made little bird pegs last Christmas... We know it will warm our hearts as we see this collection grow.



This would be beautiful the more of you the better. Imagine at the dinner table everyone sharing what their random act of Christmas kindness was. I think kids would love it!

Sometimes I hear someone say they don't like Christmas. I get that Christmas is a very hard time sometimes. But the feeling of joy, the joy that brings a tear to your eye, memories that are beautiful, the happiness of little children.... I love all of it.  Besides all of that we are celebrating the birth of Jesus and honouring Him. Christmas carols and lights do it for me, they bring in the emotional feelings... and planning gifts and surprises. That "I am going to cry" feeling of welling up and emotions taking over... that is the Christmas feeling to me. I am extra aware of things to be grateful for and of miracles at Christmas. Well, for anyone who has never felt these emotions or perhaps not in a long time... this challenge is sure to produce those kind of results. Old Christmas movies are wonderful and help you set that feeling too.

I am going to include one post a week until Christmas about the challenge and I would love you to join me. We are already having fun plotting and planning. And both of us need to come up with something each today! I can't wait to hear what Andy did today. I am helping him out this week by baking batches of biscuits, rocky road, lemon slice and fudge. I will make a batch of something each week and package them up.  I have many possibilities as I am going to the supermarket this afternoon and will be out and about.

It seems to take surprisingly little to totally make someones day. There are plenty of people that no one has said hello to, been kind to, thanked, or given a gift in quite some time. People who haven't had a pretty card or letter, flowers. People who can't afford a Christmas roast or presents under the tree. Those with thankless jobs, unsung heros who work hard and do good everyday. It doesn't take much...

I love the quote "don't wait for a miracle. BE someones miracle"I think Joel Osteen said this. How true. We can be someones miracle. Sometimes it's easier than we think.

So I am heading off to the shops and looking for a chance to bless someone. But I know I did one thing so far today as last night Chloe was here for dinner. I made her up a lunch box of leftovers to take to work today just like I always made her school lunch. She thought it was a lovely treat so that is a little thing for her today.

Have the most wonderful and blessed December. It really is a wonderful time of year. xxx



11 comments:

  1. This sounds like a wonderful idea and I will definitely give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a lovely way to start the Christmas season, Annabel. I almost wish I was with my grandchildren now so we could start with a Random Acts of Kindness Advent Calendar :-) Only a week to go so perhaps we will start then. Perhaps their act of kindness will be to let mummy sleep after she comes home with the new bub!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds beautiful Nanna Chel. Ways to help Mummy with the new baby could be wonderful and setting habits for when you are no longer there! Decorating neighbours letter boxes is a fun one. Have a good trip. I hope everything goes well. How exciting to have a Christmas baby arriving! xxx

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely idea Annabel. What better way to celebrate Jesus' birth than the giving of one's time to make someone's day or life a little brighter. You have a beautiful heart, and it shines through in so many ways :)

    For me, December and Christmas doesn't start until tomorrow. Today is my birthday, and I like to have my special day without having the distractions of Christmas. After today the tree will go up and I will start planning for Jesus' birthday. It will be a quieter one this year with two of our girls not able to be home. It is the first time ever in 33 years :( Our son and third daughter will be here though as well as my gorgeous grandson. My parents and hubby's mother will be here also.

    Have a lovely week Annabel, I think you are going to be busy!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday Tania! I hope you have had a lovely day and were spoilt and loved! It is hard when everyone wont be together for Christmas but still with a son, daughter and grandson (and your husband!) that will be wonderful. Have a great week. xxx

      Delete
  4. What a lovely challenge Annabel. And I love 'Be Someones Miracle'. I think that should be on a plaque on the wall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mimi Im pretty sure you have already been quite a few peoples miracle. And will continue to be. We are both "get on with it" type of people... action agrees with us. I had a great day so far, things all coming together! love Annabel.xxx

      Delete
  5. Kinda laid up from foot surgery. Considering a note/letter every day to someone who's been a blessing. Also, looking forward to baking, cooking for some 'alone' neighbors when I'm up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think thats a good idea, people love to get mail, pretty letters and cards that would be lovely. Also e cards can be nice I have used some for overseas friend this year. I hope your foot heals up fast for you! Many thanks for your comment.xx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful thoughts on giving. I've been thinking about that myself today, as a man stopped me on the way into the store today and gave my baby a toy. I'd like to do something nice for someone else now; it put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing how one little thing can make a huge difference to our day. Yesterday on my challenge I had a wonderful day! It has been so much fun and my husband gets home and tells me about his day and what he got up to. He helped a homeless person yesterday. Thanks Dianna for your comment!

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.