The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Tuesday 24 June 2014

The happiness factor of creating something.

I started a really big crochet project in the first week of May. We were going on our few days away to Tumby Bay. I remember the trip was six hours drive each way and I worked on getting this going all the way and way home. That 12 hours got me going!

I can crochet in the car as I don't have to look at it. If I have to look at something I would feel car sick. So crochet is a good car activity for me. 

Anyway, last night I finished it! It covers our queen sized bed and drapes down each side and down the foot of the bed. This is the biggest thing I have made! It is very warm which is perfect timing as it is freezing here now. It is also very heavy, you have to be determined to roll over under this! 



There is quite a bit of sparkle through it and it is about 90% pure wool so I am happy with that.

Now what next? 

I know having things to work on just increases my contentment factor no end. It does me good. It keeps my mind on nice things, calms me down and give me lots of pleasure. I have been able to give a pink blanket to Kath in the nursing home and she loves that rug and it is on her bed every time I go there. She tells everyone who will listen that I made it for her! And I have been able to give one to charity too.

Sometimes when you can't do much you can make something. When I was younger my Nan's great friend was Mrs. Mann. Mrs. Mann was wonderful! She was an older lady and she was in a wheel chair and eventually lost her legs. But she was always happy! I put this down to she was always busy and so kind and generous. She knitted like you would not believe. When I had Chloe then Lucy she knitted them the most glorious little dresses. True heirloom things, that I have kept until now. What a wonderful lady she was. She just blessed people and gave continuously. I wonder how much her knitting made her life of suffering and in a wheelchair better? She was so productive!

Another of Nan's best friends was Loris Smith. Loris was also the most cheerful lovely lady. She walked with crutches as she had polio when young. Loris sewed beautifully. Well, all Nan's friends looked after me apparently as when I had babies she sewed me layettes of little singlets, soft gowns and all sorts of gorgeous things. It was all so beautiful. I also kept her things. I used everything and I admired Loris so much for her kindness, she was also so productive and so happy. She also inspired me to learn to sew.

So my theory is productivity helps us be happy. I am sure of it. These ladies both had disabilities yet it no way hampered their productivity. In fact they were more productive than most people. And happier!

Another was Mrs. Birze. She had come to Australia fleeing the war and knew no English. They moved in next to Nan and Pa. Nan helped teach her english and they became life long friends. Her stories were the first I knew of the horrors of war. She made a wonderful life and spun wool and knitted the finest things. (including the most divine lacy skirt for me) And she was another happy lovely lady who blessed everyone.

So there is something to this! 

You don't have to be great at anything as we all improve as we go. And many times we have supplies we could use to make something without even spending any money to get started. Plus people to help us improve our skills. 

Every time I improve my own skills I feel happy and excited to keep going!

So later today (after painting two kitchen walls) I am learning a new stitch on You tube for my new projects.


Even Andy, who is a man after all, admired the finished product and was shocked at it's size. I have been working under it for so long but he hadn't seen it spread out! 


Mum produces so much knitting for family, friends, charities. You would be shocked to see the volume! No one ever has a baby without lovely rugs and hats etc given to them. She sends supplies with the Nuns who visit people so they have something to give when there is a need, knits for premie babies in the hospitals, cancer patients and hopeful great grand children.

When the weather is like it is now, stormy, wet, freezing, I am more than happy inside and in my spare time and evenings working away on a project. Never bored and never do I think I might go to the shops for an outing or other pitfalls that you can fall into if you are not busy and content. Truly my happiness factor is highest when I am producing something. If I stopped it would be a bad sign! 

Get stuck into projects and save money on gifts as well. Turn things you have into something special. It's amazing what you can do. it is like with baking, a few ingredients that are almost worthless become something fantastic with a little effort. Now wonder this makes us feel good. 

I can't wait to get to this evening and start my next project!



8 comments:

  1. Wow, wow, wow! Stunning work Annabel! That's a heirloom right there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so very beautiful on your bed Annabel. I'm really impressed by the collection of hats too :P

    Mrs Tiggywinkle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mrs. Tiggywinkle. I must tell you my daughter Lucy was always read the story of Mrs. Tiggywinkle as Lucy was Mrs Tiggywinkle's friend and she had the picture of Mrs Tiggywinkle ironing in her room! The hats are my husbands, he wears hats everyday so they are all worn! xxx

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous!!!! LOVE your bedroom. What a blessing to your dear husband.Well done.Wish I could camp out at your house but it would be a very long swim....Cape Cod, MA, USA to Australia...anyway, as always so grateful for your post. xoxo Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marybeth thank you so much! How I would love to meet you, all the way from Cape Cod! xxx

      Delete
  4. Wonderful work Annabel very creative and full of helpful ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to keep something on the needles. When I found the lump that turned out to be breast cancer, I just put away everything creative. It no longer seemed important. Later, during chemotherapy, I decided to begin making chemo hats. That was the beginning of my knitting hobby. I made new friends because people were curious about what I was doing.
    God bless you! Today I mended a top that I have.
    Laura Lane
    Harvest Lane Cottage
    Carthage, Missouri, USA

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.