The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Monday 30 June 2014

Pantry love.

We have made progress in the kitchen and I have some pantry and storage cupboards! It is so much fun to start to work on my pantry and building it back up.

Knowing we were ripping out an old kitchen I ran things down so it would be easier to manage. The weeks using things up saved us a lot of money too. So now it is a bit empty and even my jars are empty... but still here are some pictures anyway.

This is the top part of my pantry cupboard. I am using this for my tins and jars of supplies, dry goods etc. 



I really love tins and jars. They keep things so fresh and crisp. I have collected old jars for years. I like the thick old fashioned glass. It is beautiful. Especially the old greenish bluish glass, it even has bubbles captured in it. Mostly I have paid 50c or $1 for them. I have lots for preserving too, in another cupboard.


This is like the books Where's Wally? if you remember them? Only this is "where's Chippy" :) 


I learned years ago it is possible to spend a fortune on pantry storage but I stopped that and now plastics are in question for their safety with food. Jars and glass is lovely and there is never that plastic smell or taste. And soooo cheap. You know I have never broken one. I think that is because of how thick old glass jars are. I love Pyrex and Corningware as well and pick up lots in op shops and it is kind of fun to collect!


There is a lot of joy in a lovely pantry. I love just to see jars lined up, preserves lined up looking gorgeous and full of summer produce. A row of jams I just made is a picture of happiness to me!

But more, a good pantry means you are not running to the shops every time you want to make something, you have spare milk and basics. You have emergency meals. (One of my pantry meals is to keep everything for tuna mornay and that has been a saviour lots of times) 

A list of pantry meals is very helpful. It might be simple things like pasta with a simple sauce from tinned tomatoes but there are so many ideas and it is good to have a list for emergencies.

A well stocked pantry means in a tight week you can avoid the shops altogether or save a lot and just buy a few things to fill in the gaps.

I haven't organised my canned goods and herbs and spices yet. I am about to work on those!



Once my jar collection grew I started to paint the lids and add transfers. The trick to finding transfers is to know in the US they are called water slide decals. I get mine from Arwen Moore Design Studio on Etsy. You get a whole sheet of maybe 30 or so for about $10. They are so pretty. I have a heap of jas also in my sewing room for pins, bobbins and so on...


I still grab jars when I see them and I still see boxes of old Fowler preserving jars in country op shops. I love them! I get so excited when I find them.

Now to build my pantry back up. I always allow a stash of $20 in my purse incase I find a really good special. If something I use is half price then this is my chance to stock up. Also now and then I get a gift card (ie from Woolies for everyday rewards) and if I have a $10 gift card I will wait and choose things on half price so I can turn that $10 into $20! Even one extra item on special a week and you soon have a pantry you can go to in an emergency for a heap of meals. And save running to the shops for bits and pieces. 

The other cupboard that is finished is for glassware etc. I have put cake stands in there, I love my cake stands!


Well, this is progress with a long way to go! But I can't wait to get my stove and sink etc. Is it normal to love a sink? I am really excited about my new sink lol.

If you feel your pantry could use a makeover or you would like to improve your storage Pinterest is just wonderful for ideas. I have found so many tips there. Getting it all clean, fresh and organised is lovely. If you keep plenty of Bay Leaves in your pantry you will never have pantry moths. Every time I go to the farm I pick branches of Bay Leaves from Mum's tree and this works brilliantly. 

While it is so cold and rainy I am happy to be working away on these things indoors. I feel like celebrating as we are making progress! 














14 comments:

  1. WOW Annabel, the cupboards are stunning and I am sure the rest of the kitchen will be too!!
    Those jars look glorious with the decals, and even Chirpy matches xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqui! I think I need some more bluebird transfers! It feels so nice to get to this stage where I can put things back together! xxx

      Delete
  2. WOW Annabel, the cupboards are stunning and I am sure the rest of the kitchen will be too!!
    Those jars look glorious with the decals, and even Chirpy matches xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow......that is gorgeous Annabel. I think I could safely say that I am 'gobsmacked'.

    What sort of paint do you use for the lids please?

    I am smiling to myself ......can't think of anyone else who would have a whole pantry cupboard set aside for cake stands. You are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary what a nice comment! I use any old paint for the lids, it would have been house paint in a tin left over. I pour it into a small jar (this is white paint) and add about three drops, a tiny amount of red paint and stir to get a soft milkshake colour. Now you could get paint mixed up any colour you would want and if I was buying especially I would get a washable/scrubbable satin. As then it washed well and lasts. The decals I cover in clear varnish but I am gentle on those, you can wipe over them but not soak. The cake stands are from op shops and I have made some. Earlier I did a tutorial on how to make your own from a candle stick and a glass plate for a couple of dollars each. To me they make things seem really fancy and special! Thanks Mary, xxx

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful Annabel, you should be very proud of yourself. Gotta love how Chirpy knows which jar his foods in, ROFL! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeh! I should have sat Chippy on top of a tin of birdseed lol! Thanks Susan it is so nice to get this far in the kitchen and restore SOME order. xxx

      Delete
  5. oooh so pretty Annabel! I just love your new pantry. I love all of the glass, the jars and the display cabinet also with all your glass serving ware. Just gorgeous! xoxoxo You must be so happy with the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kaye thank you very much I really appreciate you commenting as I know you are having a busy and challenging time just now. Hugs! It is nice to be making some progress and have something done! I cant wait to show you the rest. xxx

      Delete
  6. Beautiful and inspiring! I thought of you today as I wiped down my kitchen...you have been a great encouragement to me! xoxo Marybeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes my day Marybeth! Often I do a wizz around the house and I think of Flylady as she calls it your weekly home blessing. It's true we are blessing our homes and families as we do these things and that can be a real joy. Thank you for your comment. Where are you located Marybeth if you don't mind me asking? xx

      Delete
  7. Lovely Annabel, very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb I cant wait to be abe to show you the rest! Have a lovely weekend! xxx

      Delete
  8. How beautifully creative and Chippy is so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.