The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Thursday 16 January 2014

Saving your fruit.

The other day I was given about thirty brand new, with lids, little jars. I love the possibilities!

I had the last of the free fruit which was fading fast and some of it imperfect so it was time to quickly make sure I don't lose any. I had to break my own rule of no stove on during the heat but with stewed fruit I bring it to a good boil and turn it off. So it was only on a few minutes.


Chloe loves the individual fruits you can buy and they are good as you don't waste any with single servings. So these jars and the fruit have become a couple of dozen portion servings of stewed fruit. A little gift for her, a money saver and some for me when I'm having a craving.

Now blended this would also be beautiful baby food. If there was a baby about I would love to make that. How wonderful!

I just under fill the jars and freeze them. Being small they will thaw quickly and semi frozen stewed fruit in summer is just gorgeous. 

Another thought would be to blend it and make kids ice blocks. Yummy. A supply of ice blocks ready at all times was a massive help in the hot weather. No trip to the shop needed. Yoghurt added and blended makes lovely ice blocks. Banana added too is delicious!


I just mixed what I had left which happened to be apricots and nectarines. I do this with jam too and every time so far the results have been really nice. 

Jam is brilliant as it is fine on the shelf. Fruits can be canned of course but I find it simpler to just freeze. Either way you have fruit stored away to gradually use rather than waste any. 



I have jars left over but these will be so handy for small amounts of jam like when berries need to be used quickly or something like that. I think a selection of different jams in little jars would be a sweet hostess gift or present for someone who lives alone. 

4 comments:

  1. Great idea on using jars to freeze fruit. Do you ever have any trouble with them cracking? I have some glass Decor freezer ware that can be put in the oven/microwave etc. but have never thought of using jars/standard glass before.

    Thanks Annabel, I look forward to coming by your blog every day for inspiration and such helpful practical tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaye thank you! And I look forward to hearing from you. I have used jars for ages and never had a problem. I started with old thick slightly green agee jars, you know the really old ones? the glass is really thick! I took fruit away on holidays from the freezer even. Leaving space for expanding when freezing is the important thing. I keep a shelf where things can stand up nicely too which helps. I guess one day I will have a breakage but not so far! xx

      Delete
  2. Annabel on Sunday, Coles had apricots for $9 per kilo. I was thinking that you have had a fortune in free fruit! this is a wonderful idea and what a huge time and money saver later on. Lovely, lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen I have found no real fruit specials in the shops and I normally do. I still hope I might and always look. A fruit special to me is $1 or $2 a kilo... but none so far. So thank goodness for the apricot tree and the trees around us. Now and then I see strawberries go out in giant punnets for $1 because they know they are all going to be too soft tomorrow. If I see some I will make a little bit of strawberry jam. Last year I got 3 kilos of cherries for $3. It made wonderful jam and I had to do it that day or they would have been no good! But it was worth it! xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.