The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Thursday 19 December 2013

Hot days...

Really hot days are tough on everyone! My hydrangeas are being watered three times a day and still droop if I look at them. And despite everything one camellia that wasn't covered yesterday is now BLACK. I'm pretty sure black is not a good sign! The others have shade cloth over them and with lots of water they are looking fine.

The chooks are unhappy and I am pouring water over their house to create an evaporative air conditioning effect several times a day.

I am mostly able to stay out of it except for all the dashing out to wet and water things. Plus I do have to go to the shops but quite often that is the coolest place to be in the heat!

Having things to do that are quiet and in the coolest place just makes life in the heat much better. Distractions are good! As with children, if they are bored it is terrible! Activities in the cool make life much nicer. 

Sometimes I have worked on things like my photo albums, letter writing and so on and that has been lovely, you get these things done you never usually do because of having this enforced stay in time. While knitting and crochet are good they seem to hot to be working on and big things like rugs go away until winter when I'll take them up again. Little embroidery projects or sewing projects are beautiful right now.

I try to keep a supply of little things for when people have babies. Embellishing little singlets is so quick and easy and they are really good gifts. And it's cool work! 




A dear lady that used to make things for my girls, Loris, made glorious things for everyones babies but made the singlets from scratch. Her stuff was just beautiful and I have kept much of it to this day. I tend to buy little baby items in the sales and then work something on to them. Although... I have made little velour outfits covered in winnie the pooh characters (they are stored away in the high cupboard...) and I made this little dress in fine stretch knit jersey. It's a glory box item for one of the girls....


Another little one is using fabric paint I paint on a little design then embroider around that. Little angel singlets can then be worn as a little top on hot days which is sweet on a baby.



A little bit of basic embroidery has so many uses. If you're out of practise the hot weather is a perfect time to try some little things. Like all handiwork if you have a Nan or Mum or older neighbour ask to learn a few things, do it now while you still have them. And teach your young ones while they are home on holidays too. Or ask Nana if she will teach your daughter some of her skills BOTH of them will have the most beautiful time. Failing that look on You Tube by search "How to learn...." or " Crochet/embroidery/knitting or whatever for beginners" it is exactly like having free tuition anytime of the day or night that suits you. Imagine the value of that? This can be fabulous for kids too, as they learn they go on to another tutorial. Wonderful in the holidays but wonderful for us too. You can start now, no need to have been taught when you were little! 

The pleasure and contentment of handicrafts means you always have gifts to give for little money. You can always help people, you are never bored and always happy! Also if you are unwell or stuck in bed you have lovely things to be working on. How nice is that?



3 comments:

  1. Annabel, you know the way to a girls heart. I must do some of these for my little girls...x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SOOO with you on handwork, but YOURS? Oh, my goodness. It is positively edible, it's so delicious on the eyes. Sweet like candy.

    Gotta question: Do you 'worry' about the wrong side showing on the singlets (Americans call them onesies)? Or do you just carefully work your stitches in, avoiding the wrong side as best as you can?

    Happy highways. I loved this post.................
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelley! Well I don't worry too much, I try and keep things neat and trimmed and tidy so mainly theres nothing scratchy to annoy baby skin etc. but in the end I dont think the work is worse on the wrong side than a bought item ie you always have seams and tags... But I tend to put a back on to blankets as there is just so much work on them it would be too much! I am working on muslin face cloths just now and the work ends up backed in those too... will post them sooner or later. Does that answer the question? .. when an item is worn, no wrong side is ever visible... xx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.