The little birds...

If you watch little birds you will see they are busy and happy! Using whatever they can find they create the most gorgeous little nest.
I would be the little bird with some glittery thread in her nest!
We can be like this. Happily working away with the things that are available to us to create a beautiful and happy home.
All the while with a little song in our heart.

Banner by Free Pretty Things for You.

Wednesday 18 December 2013

Family.

Every year my aunt writes a poem for the family which is usually read at the Christmas table. This comes from having an aunt who is a famous author and poet! 

This year the poem really struck a chord with me, I felt emotional reading it and it made me think of all the silent acts of love and service of my grandmothers and their mums and how these things become part of us. So beautiful, sad and wonderful all at the same time...

Christmas Poem (13)

In Belaruse and old woman keeps a language
alive in her evening prayers.

In a family, language is a thousand little things-
the star on the dark green tree
the way we sing to babies and tell children
stories making promises that only some of us
can keep. The cauldron of apricots
boiling on the stove and cake coming
from the oven with our mothers hips
blocking out the view. Her apron's tie
hung down across the floral frock.

Our verbs were the way she bent
collecting eggs or planting fruit trees
and every Monday morning lifting
sheets, shirts and pegs from her
washing basket.
Language also being landscape
bending, she was our only hill
although, living beside the sea
we did have dunes.

We also had a prayer
"Gentle Jesus, meek and mild...
don't let the boys break my doll
teach me to swim and let me stay up
late so that I can see those stars
I saw after reciting at the concert"

Kate Llewellyn


It makes me remember my Mum and Nan lifting cooking from the oven... it makes me think my apricot jam and fruit trees and collecting the eggs are not a coincidence... and each of us has sung to our babies to get us to here, where we are now... almost Christmas, the time to count our blessings.... which in my case are many.

So I thought I would share some family photos as I talk about my family constantly. 




This is my husband Andy. He is a great musician and very kind guy!



My Dad and Lucy at her engagement party earlier this year...



Chloe and Lucy...



Mum and Lucy....


Chloe...

Once day Ill post pictures of my Nans as I am always speaking of them!

Christmas is such a special time, Christmas day is a huge day for our family. Dad just loves it. He waits for us all to arrive impatiently! It is an amazing day. Mum does the whole huge english style hot turkey, Christmas puddings and so many trimmings and side dishes, a stunning table and it is all repeated in a cold version in the evening!

I'll see if she will share her pudding recipe as it is amazing.

Have a beautiful Christmas to everyone.


And I'd like to say hello to Shaveta who wrote me the most beautiful email and is probably reading this on the train on the way home after work.  Shaveta thank you so much! xxx




5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful family you have Annabel. And everyone has your kind eyes...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful, loving family Annabel, and that is a blessing indeed. But it is also a reflection on you... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mimi and Muppet for the kind words! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely poem & photo's! Bird house went up today & it looks great! Thanks again : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! mmm Im thinking maybe your bird house just needs a little family of birds to live there next... xxx

      Delete

I really appreciate your comments thank you! The aim of my blog is the be a place of encouragement and happiness. Very rarely is anyone rude. Actually only twice so far! If you post a rude or aggressive comment I will read it but not publish it, thanks for understanding.xxx

Spam is never published... if you are advertising a product or selling website your comment wont be published. I am inundated with stuff about drugs, horses and weird things! I am not going to publish this stuff! Thank you.